Matchday 17

Saturday result

Express 3-4 KCCA

Express and KCCA served their fans at Wankulukuku to some thrilling stuff but it is the latter that left smiling following a 4-3 victory in this hotly contested StarTimes Uganda Premier League match on Saturday.

Etienne Katenga, Muhammad Shaban, Ashraf Mugume and Usama Arafat scored KCCA goals while Isaac Wagoina, John Asiimwe and Marvin Oshaba were on target for Express.

KCCA’s seventh win in 17 matches moves them one place up to ninth on 23 points, 14 behind leaders, BUL, and two adrift of Express in eighth.

The visitors went ahead inside the first minute when Katenga drilled home from close range Mugume’s cut-back after Shaban’s incessant pressure forced an Express defender to cede possession.

Express then came close to equalising but Alpha Ssali’s low shot was cleared off the line with the goalkeeper beaten in the eighth minute.

But the Red Eagles’ pressure soon yielded in the 23rd minute when Isma Kawawulo’s inviting cross from the left was beautifully glanced in by marksman Wagoina for 1-1 and the forward’s eighth goal of the season.

The home side were in ascendancy now, another attack ending with Asiimwe scoring a beauty from the edge of the area after Wagoina’s good work in the penalty box. Two-one to Express after 33 minutes!

Three minutes later and you feared for KCCA as coach Alex Isabirye’s Express were running riot, here. KCCA goalkeeper Anthony Emojong carelessly gave away possession, allowing Ssali beat his man for pace and skill and crossing into the area.

KCCA tried to clear out of danger several times but when the ball rolled into Oshaba’s path, the Red Eagle ruthlessly thumped it in for a 3-1 half time lead.

However, KCCA were not done, here. Coach Abdallah Mubiru’s men returned from the break determined and reduced the deficit five minutes into the second half.

A sweeping move saw Pilsner Man of the Match, Mugume, cross for Shaban to head home KCCA’s second and his ninth on 50 minutes. Three-two and game on!

KCCA then levelled late on – almost from nothing. Herbert Achai’s tame throw-in was collected by Mugume, who turned and shot at goal from the edge of the penalty area.

Ordinarily, it was supposed to be a routine gathering for Yunus Abubaker but the ball instead found its way through the Express goalkeeper’s legs for 3-3 on 87 minutes.

At this point Express would take a point. But no. KCCA wanted them all, and got them, they did. Goalkeeper Emojong hacked it up high and Shaban ran onto it, beating the two accompanying defenders for pace and power.

Shaban’s shot was initially saved but only onto Usama’s path, the young forward prodding it home for a thrilling 4-3 victory and avenging a first round defeat to the Red Eagles.




Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *