AUPL results from Tuesday

Vipers SC 4-1 Onduparaka

Express 0-2 Proline

Bul 4-2 Sadolin Paints

Police 1-3 URA

Kirinya Jinja 4-0 JMC Hippos

The Saints 2-0 Soana

KCCA 2-0 Lweza

Last 10 league winners

2017: KCCA

2016: KCCA

2015: Vipers SC

2014: KCC

2012: Express

2013: KCC

2011: URA

2010: Bunamwaya SC

2009: URA

2008: KCC

Ten-man KCCA successfully defended their Azam Uganda Premier League (AUPL) title after seeing off Lweza 2-0 at Phillip Omondi Stadium on Tuesday.

Tom Masiko and second half substitute Geoffrey Sserunkuma each scored from the spot to hand the Lugogo side their fourth league silverware in five years.

This title is also manager Mike Mutebi’s second league accolade having lifted it last year, and KCCA’s fifth since SC Villa last won it in 2004.

The triumph came at a much needed time when Uganda’s sole representatives in the Caf Confederation Cup prepared to leave for the group stage first leg match against Fus Rabat in Morocco due this weekend.

“Yes we are happy we have won the championship but we can only evaluate ourselves on the continent,” said Mutebi.

KCCA wrapped up their 12th championship overall with two matches to spare, meaning Mutebi will be able to keep his most influential players fresh for continental duty.

At 60 points, not even second-placed Villa at 52 can match KCCA from their remaining two games.

Defeat for Lweza pushed them back to the relegation zone on 28 points.

Both sides had chances to score in the first half but could not convert, with Lweza’s John Kisakye and KCCA’s Derrick Nsibambi the guilty parties.

At half time, Mutebi introduced KCCA marksman Geoffrey Sserunkuma in place of Brian Majwega as pressure mounted at Lugogo.

Lweza’s resistance was finally broken on the hour after Nsibambi was fouled inside the forbidden area for the referee to point on the spot.

Surprisingly, regular penalty taker Sserunkuma passed on the responsibility to Masiko, who duly converted on 60 minutes.

But there was no giving away the second chance when the opportunity presented itself.

Sserunkuma teed-on Nsibambi, the striker beating Sula Bagala into the box only for the Lweza player to hack him for KCCA’s second penalty.

Sserunkuma dispatched Lweza goalkeeper Ivan Mutumba to a wrong direction for his 20th goal and KCCA’s second of the match on 79 minutes.

There was, however, still time for KCCA’s Timothy Awany to pick a silly fight with the referee, who responded by sending the player off late on.

Elsewhere, more than 20 goals were scored in the seven matches played, arguably the highest on any match day this campaign.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *